February 14, 2014

Mod: commercial Shortstroking


Hi peepz, as promised, here's the post about the commercial shortstroke mod I bought.

The exact name is AIP Enhanced Recoil Spring and Shim - picture after the break.




I ordered this (among with some other stuff - to be shown in a following post) straight from the AIP website. I found this to be the cheapest option. They're based in Hongkong but they send everything out using signed for speedpost. The delivery (to Belgium) took about 12 days including 2 weekends and the costs were pretty low.

Looking at the goods, I noticed immediately that the supplied washer is exactly the same as I found for my DIY shortstroke mod. So I went ahead and installed the mod.
Before

After

Method of installation is straightforward. Just take out the recoil guide rod and insert the washer and spring before the regular spring, then put the rod in again. You'll need to put some pressure on the spring to be able to insert the assembly into the slide. But don't worry, it fits, even if you have to fiddle about a bit.

I did some stages with it this week and the gun cycles much faster than stock, allowing you to really nail those double taps. One downside, the slide lock no longer works since you can't pull back the slide far enough for it to catch.

DIY shock buffer
As you can see, the spring mod puts a lot more tension on the main spring but that's only because the buffer is smaller to allow the slide lock to be used. I'll do a comparison soon between the two shortstroke methods, but both will be the same amount of shortstroke then.

No comments:

Post a Comment